
Well, here it is. A lot of people seem to have a hard time understanding exactly what happened, so I figured I'd take a picture of the bridge. I'm heading South on HW423. This is the same direction I was heading at the time of the accident. It was about 6am on Monday, the 20th. Up ahead, on the right side of the road after the bridge, there were yellow flashing lights. Everyone heading south merged over to the left lane and slowed down. We were probably going about 30mph. As I crossed the bridge, out of the corner of my eye I caught a full size pickup heading straight for me. He was traveling north (the opposite direction). After he hit me, his truck rolled. On any given day, people are typically traveling at about 70mph in this open area. This valley must have trapped the cold air, because there was a solid sheet of ice on the entire road. The bridge is very short - I'm not even certain I had actually arrived at the bridge when the accident happened. Since the road was covered with ice, there was no skid marks. Any other marks were probably lessened from the sand and gravel on the road.
<< Home